Monday, September 8, 2008

It's Official - We're Adults

So there are a couple things in this world that shock you into the reality that indeed, you have grown up. Buying a new car, renting a U-Haul moving truck, and something Molly and I experienced this weekend: Putting on a Yard Sale.

Most things in my own life have been a complete crazy whirlwind of last minute preparation and unnecessary stress, example: School. Why study any earlier than hours before the test?

And so, of course, the Yard Sale was no different. I believe Molly and I decided we wanted to throw one (because it sort of felt like a party) the week after Kyle and I moved into our new place. And, not to disappoint, we waited like lazy things, until the very last moment possible to plan the darn thing.

It's bad motivation when things still turn out smashing. And they did. We sold quite a bit and both Molly and I were content with the money we raked in. There is something to be said though about having a hard skin to those that are trying to get you to come down. I wasn't so good at it. My philosophy being - "we just want to get rid of it!" All in all though, a wonderful introduction to the Yard Sale-ing world.

As for next time, we'll know a little more what to expect and maybe, just maybe we'll make the signs a couple days in advance.

3 comments:

  1. Im glad to hear your yard sale went well - I havent heard great things about the yard-sale-shoppers in Provo. Ive heard that a lot of *ahem* ethnic minorities jump from sale to sale, offering less than half of the asking price. Or just 25 cents for everything. So Im scared to spend all the energy of putting one on. Adios.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you never really pay much for anything in the first place then you don't really care how much you sell it for. Our motto is hand-me-downs (like 90% of what we have!)Fight Inflation!! Shop Craigslist!

    My other idea--wouldn't it be cool if people would have a yard sale but everything was just free. I've thought of doing that, just putting everything out on the lawn for free to who ever needs it. Steve thinks I'de be looked on strangely by the neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always thinking, I'm so old...and yet I still feel SO young and juvinille. I was relating this thought to a "friend" of mine at church one day, who's my age...and I was like, "don't you just feel like you're still 18?" And she just looked at me and blinked and said, "NO." And I was like, hmm, conversation ended there.

    ReplyDelete