Tuesday, October 22, 2013

month one




{look who's smiling!}

Man, time is flying by.  Wesley is a little over a month now and I feel like we're finally beginning to get into a nice rhythm.  I think I'm getting to that point where it's weird to think that I was ever pregnant, or that there was ever a time when Wesley wasn't a part of our daily lives, and that's a good place to be.  We kinda like him.  Now that I'm finally coming up for air though, I went back and realized that we have a winner for the date guessing game! Lisa Heinrichs, well done lady.  You guessed the 13th.  Leave a comment or FB message me your address so I can send off your prize... and sorry it's taken me so long. lol.

Now, in the spirit of documentation here's what I've learned the last six weeks

1. I kind of love being a mom of two.  I have two equally gorgeous amazing children, and that's pretty cool.

2. This little baby toots... like ALL the time.  He wakes up - he toots, he's upset - he toots... they just escape out of his wee little bum all day long and it's completely hilarious.

3. I've become a bit of a Facebook junkie.  I never really was before, but man, I sure am now - that and Instagram (follow me @meleseann).  I mean, what are you supposed to do in all those hours of nursing?? Especially the ones that land in the middle of the night.  I can't tell you how many times I've wished that people would just post more for heavens' sake, so I would have something to look at.

4. Along that same subject of nursing, I now go through an entire bottle of water every night.  I'd go through more, except that would require me to get out of bed... uh, no.

5. Photography has been my saving grace.  Being a new mom (and now a new mom of two) is a bit grating.  You change diapers, you swaddle, you nurse, clean up the house and in the few hours in between you try to do something you're going to feel proud of at the end of the day.  For me, that is photography.  I'm not sure how I wouldn't go crazy without it, honestly.  I love shooting something gorgeous, it makes me feel like less of a zombie, and more of a contributing member of society.  PS I really want to start a photography club, so if you're interested at all in joining (i.e. shooting pictures and then getting together to discuss/shoot/critique, let me know!! I'm in desperate want of a photo community to belong to!)



6. I love community naps.  Lily still naps every day and on occasion Wesley's nap overlaps with hers and it. is. heaven.  I guess you could say it's a slumber party.

7. Baby boys will get you.  Take that diaper off and they've got a little gun aimed and ready.  I can't even count how many times I've been drenched... the saddest one was when he got Lily... all in her hair.  Hilario... but sad of course.  She just kept shrieking "Wesley peed on me!  HE PEED ON ME MOMMY!"  Yes, yes.  Now off to the tub.

8. I forgot how much babies HATE the hiccups.  And I have to say that it is driving me insane not being able to explain to him what they are and that they will go away eventually.  It's been weird going back to the beginning where they sort of barely know you're there, and they can't understand you nor do they hold any brain power for logic.

9. The forgetfulness doesn't go away with pregnancy.  You get those brain cells back after you have the baby but you lose them again due to sleep deprivation.  It's not fair I tell you.  I literally have a list of things I need/want to do typed up on my phone so that when I have down time I don't waste it by saying things like, "now what was it I wanted to do?"

10. This boy loves to eat... I mean like a freaking crazy person.  Sometimes I wonder if I have enough to sustain his appetite.  I remember in one of my past wards I knew a girl who told me that she fed her son every two hours.  At the time Lily was a baby and I thought, 'You're crazy, girl.  Letting that little baby run your life? Just make him wait."  Oh younger Melese, how little you understood.  When they need to eat, they NEED to eat; there's no such thing as "making them wait", they will not be calmed... and then the squeaking begins - I kind of love the squeaking, it's totally adorable... but maaaaybe not at 3 am...

Anyhoo... I'm super happy that Wesley is getting bigger, fatter and cuter and those first few smiles? Totally awesome.  I think I almost cried the first time he legitimately smiled at me, such validation, am I right???

Here's to month two, cheers!!!

  

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this list. Every single point was exactly my experience with my second boy. He wanted to eat every 2 hours FOREVER and I just did because it was the only thing he wanted. The first time mom me would have punched the second time mom me in the face, but let's be honest, you just adapt to your baby. And boys toot a lot. I never get over how much gas come out of those tiny booties in one day. I love it. Keep up the good work, you have a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete