Monday, August 11, 2008

Laser Discs

Has anyone ever heard of these? I sure hadn't until I married Kyle, and by so doing inherited over a hundred. Laser Discs are like giant, and I do mean giant DVDs. Picture a record with the shiny-ness of a CD, and the weight of a sandbag...okay not that heavy but you get the idea. They came out in the nineties I think and were supposed to be this huge hit until DVDs sort of stole their thunder. Kyle's uncle had begun collecting them like a squirrel collects nuts before winter. It was something of a joke at first, we have laser discs...yes, we are the epitome of old school-ness. But sadly the darn machine broke a couple weekends ago and we were so sad, not to mention that now we have an entire bookshelf full of useless giant discs. So, what do you do? Well here were a couple things we thought of:

1. play Frisbee

2. clay pigeons? (note to self: make sure to wear protective goggles)

3. save them and hope for a fantastic deal on another machine (brand spanking new laser disc players cost somewhere around $400....no freaking way.)

4. OR ...like any normal person would do - take it to pieces with a drill and MAKE it work.


This is what Kyle opted for...the whole 'making it work' didn't quite pan out the way either of us had hoped. It's still sitting on our Kitchen Table waiting for some sort of miracle.






No such luck; it was a very valiant effort though. I guess we could make a pretty sweet piece of art out of them....

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. . . Laser Discs are hilarious! That's so funny that Kyle has such a collection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you guys have/had that. Its always fun to have something you love to collect, something to get giddy over and have fun to play with. Im so sorry that its broken though:( Im with the frisbee gold idea though, I havent dont that in forever!
    Love ya;)
    P.S. That is so cool your uncle went to Switerland to begin with and then met Audrey Hepburn, thats such an awesome story to tell. I especially love how you mentioned she loved her cat and that it made you love her more, it made me giggle:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scratch the "gold", I meant golf. I dont know what my deal is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha if you guys really want one again you should check out provo freecycle (it is a yahoo group) and post a wanted ad. I've seen them on there before and people just give you stuff before they take it to the D.I... it is pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete