Friday, August 1, 2008

I Hate You and Your Flash

I shot a wedding yesterday (shot aka "took pictures of", it's just a faster way of saying it...and it sounds cooler) for some really good friends of mine. Weddings are great, everyone's happy (hopefully), love is in the air and spirits are high. The Wedding Photography world, however, is a bit different. I think the proper description is snobby with a capital S.

I can recall many times when I'd be shooting peacefully with my happily just married couple and some unknown, unwanted photo guru would come up to me and give me unsolicited advice totally crippling me professionally in front of my clients. Or, better yet sizing up my equipment, my form of dress, and spinning me in circles with loads of unfamiliar vocabulary just to show me that I was most certainly the less experienced photographer.

Now the flash, this is huge in the photo world. If you don't use a flash you are basically trash...and they rhyme, so there you go. No Flash = Trash. There's a little math equation for you. Let me make something very clear: I hate flash, I avoid it at all costs - it is evil. And thus I become the target for such comments like, "You know, you wouldn't come up with such amateur images if you used a flash." It's enough to make your blood boil.

As I was sitting there with my trained assistant, Kyle :), another photographer walked in. Thankfully she turned out to be fabulous. Totally normal down to earth and as we chatted for a bit we laughed about how silly and ridiculous professional photographers can be, especially in regards to flashes. "Sometimes," she said, "I just want to say I hate you, and your flash!" And that my friends is my new motto - I hate you and your flash...don't take it personally. =)

2 comments:

  1. Once again, AMEN! I love that I can agree with you on so many things on so many different levels...I did a wedding just over a year ago and I had finally bought a flash to use for the wedding, and I HATED it! The images I had without the flash I think came out so much better than the ones with. They can helpful in some situations, but for the most part theyre more of a hassell than helpful. So that turd of a monkey lamo wannabe "photographer" can kiss yours and mine cute behinds!:) And just so you know, James is my trained assistant as well:) Thats what theyre good for! Haha, just kidding...but not really:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHA I shot a wedding this past weekend...and I used a fill flash! haha I know I know but it just makes for less stress really it does and at weddings there is already enough stress in the air. lol I do agree though! AVOID FLASH WHERE POSSIBLE! ;)

    ReplyDelete