It is a little known fact that baking is not one of my strong points. Peach Cobbler (as my family can attest) has always been my fall back. I could make that thing with my eyes closed, but for some strange unknown reason it is simply beyond me to make Chocolate Chip Cookies. They're pretty basic right? Wrong. Dead Wrong. They are the baked goods from hell, wreaking havic on kitchens all over the country... or perhaps just my kitchen. Last night I attempted the little devils once again, and was met with the same result - failure; flat, never coming off the pan except for in frustratingly crumbly bits, failure. And this is with a recipe out of the blue bible. The blue bible people. It hit me then, and I started to panic a bit, what kind of kid was going to love a mom who couldn't even make chocolate chip cookies?
I suddenly felt like Jenny in Marley and Me (If you haven't read this, shame on you:) when she panics about four months before their baby is born that the poor thing doesn't have any socks and insists that her husband get some that very night, saying, "i just see those little tiny toes," in a disparaging voice. Of course for them it was pretty simple, run to the store pick up some ridiculously tiny (I think John Grogan actually describes them as 'thumb warmers') baby socks, feel at peace and call it a day. I'm facing a more difficult feat (no pun intended): learning to bake. Which is surprisingly difficult when you're as absent minded as I am. Let's hope she loves me anyway, and maybe - just maybe - I'll conquer this wild beast once and for all.
Monday, June 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

NOt to worry, good friend, you have a year PLUS however many months you are pregnant to learn to Bake. Even at that, your sweetie won't start demanding things till she's at least 2. So, let's say you have a good 3 years to learn to bake.
ReplyDeleteOr, just send 'em over to Auntie Molly's house.
you can do it! You know what you should try? Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. I can even give you a recipe with precise directions if you want. For some reason they are easier for me to make. Even when all my chocolate chip cookies failed, the oatmeal ones always seemed to come through.
ReplyDeleteSee at our house I never have to worry about making chocolate chip cookies because thats the ONLY cookie Steve makes and he insists on making cookies about once a week. Thus I moved from Dad's constant chocolate chip cookies to now my husband's. It never ends. You need Kyle to figure this one out.
ReplyDeleteOk, kid. Problems like this are completely fixable- margarine is usually the culprit when I get flat crappy cookies, but I think the real issue here is deeper than that. A recipe can FEEL when you don't love it. And I think that that is what this is really all about. Are you adding LOVE when you bake?
ReplyDeleteTake a minute to answer that one.
Oh, and I have a new oatmeal cinnamon chocolate chip recipe that will blow your mind.
Im with you kid, I cant bake. But just like others have said, you've got nothing but time. So keep your head up, you'll master that cookie, I know it!
ReplyDelete"the baked goods from hell"
ReplyDeleteI'll remember that each time I'm tempted to eat a cookie. It's so true, in more ways than one. Thank you.
ps - loved that movie. Helped me decide to never get a dog.