Thursday, September 20, 2012

pear bliss

I feel like the luckiest girl in the world when it comes to our garden.  I know I've bragged about it over and over again this year already but goodness - life is gooooood.  I just picked the first sweet delicious watermelon for lily's birthday picnic (watch for a post on that soon) and it is AMAZING.  I say "is" because the whale of a thing is still being whittled away.  It's a monster.  Here Lily and I are enjoying about a dozen slices each... please disregard our crazy looking faces...focus on the watermelon people.










Anyhooo, along with the watermelon and cantelope and tomatoes, corn and green beans...we have the pear tree.  I'll be honest, normally I have no idea what to do with the pears, in fact I cringe just thinking about our first year here... because I did nothing.  NOTHING.  I'm so ashamed.  But this year has been a "pack it away like a little bear preparing for winter" year, and so my sister and I made pear butter.  YUM.  I had it in some steel cut oats the other morning and I almost wept.  But what to do with the remaining bushels on the tree (high mind you, I am in desperate need of a fruit picker... or a giant) I went hunting and found a wonderful recipe for what?  Pear Muffins.






Even the munchkin agrees, delish (check out that thumbs up.) They are so not too sweet and the pears totally melt in your mouth - it's magical.  You should try them.

Here's the recipe.  Now, get baking.

2 comments:

  1. beautiful! Especially that first food shot- my mouth's just watering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! In case you are trying to find other pear recipes, try making pearsauce! (applesauce, but with pear) Delicious! And, I assume, pretty easy..? I don't actually know, but I'd try!

    ReplyDelete