Thursday, May 31, 2012

on the potty

I regret to say that I have no typical Memorial events to share.  We did not visit any graveyards or bbq like summer bosses, in fact what we did on memorial day felt very un-patriotic.

Potty Training.

{warning: there is a lot of excitement in here about various bowel movements, I never thought I'd be one of these parents, but here we are.  so if you don't want to hear about the joys of potty training, feel free to skip over this post.}

The morning was, hmmm, how shall I say this?  An utter nightmare.  The idea that my dear girl would now have to stop what she was doing every time a little dribble of you know what coursed through her was entirely unattractive and bothersome.  Then add to that her usually super chill mother hovering over her like an annoying fly asking every few minutes if she was still dry and I think we can all agree it's not surprising that this became too much around nap time.  Waaaay too much.  So much screaming, my head is still ringing a little bit from it.

So what did we do?  Well naturally, Lily went to bed - albeit very unwillingly - and I jumped off the nearest cliff grabbed the keys and headed for someplace I could gather my thoughts... the grocery store.  PS don't worry peeps I didn't leave my child alone in her crib, thankfully Kyle's home for summer vacation now (cue heavenly chorus).

While I was rolling around picking out depression food, and fuming over the "potty train your child in 24 hours" crap, I realized something.  I am not the type of mom pegged out in all of those party potty training books, which are crazy extravagant btw.  I do not enjoy hovering over my child all day long... maybe a few hours but all day?  And I can only be crazy excited and ridiculously patient for so long before I get bored and or yippy.  So I decided that now that Lily understood the basics of potty training - ie training her bear and the process - I would throw the book out the window and try to back off a little and allow her the chance to tell me when she needed to go.

Now don't get me wrong the books I picked up were awesome, especially for someone who had never done this before, but I mean come on, I was writing down the phrases in a little book and carrying it around with me so I knew how to talk to my child.  A bit much?  Yes.

Well, it worked people.  As soon as I backed off, and I mean almost immediately, Lily was telling me when she had to go potty, she had zero accidents and even took herself into the bathroom to poop... on the potty.  Um, MIRACLE!  So we celebrated with a little thing I like to call Burger Supreme.  Lily ate all of the fries she could fit in her tiny belly and we watched the Muppets.  It was a great end to a very good/bad day.

I am SO relieved that this event is finally over and that it was actually a success.  I love my little lily girl.

She is just so thrilled to be a big girl and to gift all of her old baby diapers to her cousin Sam. (believe me, she talks about it every day).  Way to go Lily Jeane!









  pointing out her new princess night time pull-ups. :)

7 comments:

  1. LOL! So much laughing through this post- I LOVE how you write, Mese! And way to tell it all so perfectly!

    PS, we're happy to be the honored diaper recipients. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto! Potty training is one thing that's good to keep some humor about. I'm sure there will be more stories to come!

      Delete
  2. I miss burger supreme! Especially since that is the ONLY burger I want now that we're expecting again..haha. Potty training was my least favorite parenting experience so far, but once the accidents are a minimun, its great. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're starting to get there with Hailey. I can totally relate to everything you said. She started going on her own once I backed off too. It's still hard not to nag her about staying dry. I'm a little paranoid about her having accidents all over my furniture. Congratulations to Lily (and you) on being potty trained!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous01 June, 2012

    Kory and I just got through laughing ourselves crazy. You are the best! Happy times with our favorite princess :)

    Love, Trina

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this post/ love the way you write- the thought of potty training colette sends me into a panic attack- thank goodness i still have a year or two till then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must echo the same thing. Potty training can be a nightmare!!! Potty training ( when it finally works) is a miracle! I am still so proud of Jane because I can't believe it is working!!!

    ReplyDelete