Tuesday, April 15, 2014

the holy grail

I feel like it's been a while since I did a food post and since I've recently discovered quite a lot of goods in the food department I thought it was most definitely time.  Let's begin with, The Holy Grail Smoothie.  This smoothie is seriously good with a lot of great subtle flavors and guess what?  Some kale snuck in there and miracle of MIRACLES it doesn't taste anything like kale (sorry, Kale... maybe someday we'll be friends).  I've always wanted to eat more kale but at least for me it really is insanely bitter and unappealing, enter Holy Grail Smoothie.  It pairs kale with the sweetness of red grapes (high in sugar content but low in "hmmm, that tastes exactly like grapes" ahem, bananas.), the smoothness of avocado, throw a little mint, almond milk and greek yogurt in there and BAM, happy healthy goodness!  Shoutout to my sister Molly, who came up with the recipe! Lily and I are enjoying these every morning, and we usually fight about who gets the bigger glass. Guess who wins?  Of course I do, I'm five times her size and the mama.  I win.  Now go try it!!

The Holy Grail Smoothie

1 c. unsweetened vanilla almond or coconut milk
1 c. chopped kale leaves, stem removed
1 c. frozen red or black grapes
1-2 Tbs. nut butter or diced avocado
1 serving protein powder or ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
Small handful fresh mint
Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth, adding 4-5 ice cubes to achieve desired thickness.  Serves 1.






No comments:

Post a Comment