Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Back Sleepers




For those of you who don't know, I'm pregnant :); sitting comfortably (or the beginnings of not so comfortably) in my Fifth month. I think anyone that has ever been pregnant quickly comes to realize that if it was widely known just how many absolutely crazy and ridiculous things happen to your body when you're pregnant, there would be no children on this earth.

It's a well kept secret and for good reason. There are many things that I've quickly looked up in my trusty "What to Expect When You're Expecting" bible and been horrified to find out that, yes indeed, this is normal. It's funny how quickly you start to laugh at it all though, kind of like a 'what's next?' kind of mentality.

That being said, I'm sure you've all heard the no sleeping on your back rule. I've had issues with that one, mostly just because hey, I'm a back sleeper. I like it, it likes me end of story. Not so with a baby on board, it's a no go in the preggers department, and to be honest I really wanted to know why... (see 'i like it, it likes me')

Well I looked it up online and was sent to what had to be some type of baby/mama forum. One gigantic question at the top read: "Is it safe to sleep on my back during pregnancy?" a very valid question, I thought to myself; the exact one i wanted an answer to because lets face it, if there was any type of loop hole I was going to find it and I was going to get myself some good back sleepin' happiness.

With one click I felt like I'd just entered some kind of 'back sleepers anonymous' for Pregnant Women.

Sentences starting with things like, "I used to be a back sleeper..." and for some reason I expected it to end in something like, "but now I'm CLEAN!"

Some women were very blunt about it "Hey, I have a hard time sleeping, and if sleeping on my back is comfortable and I'm not feeling any stress, I do it."

Others were a bit more concerned "I've never been a back sleeper, until now!" I wanted to insert a little, 'Help me! Help me!' in there somewhere.

Many bits of good advice followed involving body pillows and warnings about chastisements from doctors if women didn't listen to their body and roll over.

All in all I found it enlightening and even more than that comical. Being pregnant sure is funny.

7 comments:

  1. I too had a problem with this!! But as baby gets bigger, it will cut off bloodflow to the lower half of your body. But some nights, thats the only position i could get any sleep in.
    So how is everything going anyway? I've been thinking about you and wondering why I haven't sen any prego pics yet?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATS!!!! when are you due? I am preggers as well and say if you're comfy on your back, then do it... soon you won't be able to without feeling completely out of breath and like someone is sitting on you while you are trying to sleep. oh, and, pictures??? belly shot? some photographer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Melese! I hope all goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea that you were pregnant! Who come I had no idea? haha. Congratulations! And as always... very funny post. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. You're too funny Melese! I'm so happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats!!! I am super excited for you! I totally understand how frustrating it is to not get to sleep the way you want. I like sleeping on my belly and well . . . that doesn't work when there is a baby in the way. :) I can't wait to hear more about you and baby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. CONGRATS!! Five months, WOW, more than half way done. (WARNING: Month nine you think you are going to NEver get your body back, move, or have energy again, Don't worry you'll be back to normal in about a month or two after baby is born).

    ReplyDelete