Friday, April 19, 2013

kite flying

Lily decided about a month ago that she wanted to fly a kite, so we made a chart and decided how many jobs it would take to earn it.  I was thinking to myself what a cool parent I was by having my child earn her kite, and then weeks went by and I realized (at least at this age) that I needed to be just as involved in this process as lily was.  Oh boy.  So we worked, and I am emphasizing the WE very heavily here, on cleaning her room, working in the garden, and other odds and ends jobs. Don't get me wrong she did most of the work, I just had to be the task master... which I quickly discovered was not my favorite.  But looking back I think it was really good for her... and me.

She learned that those butterflies did not come cheap - she had good days where she would would work hard and earn more than one butterfly and then she would have bad days where she would occasionally lose one; and I realized that unless I am involved my child will grow up to be totally lazy and quite possibly a real slob. lol.  Man alive, there's a whole lot more that goes into parenting then you ever ever think about when you're envisioning a cute little baby.

Kite shopping was a breeze (ha no pun intended!), she was immediately won over by the Cinderella kite so we purchased it and she could hardly wait to get to the park and throw it into the air.  What is it about kites that get kids so completely gleeful?  I mean, okay, they are pretty cool.  I'm actually surprised I didn't do more kite flying before we had lily, it's kind of awesome.

Congrats kiddo for working hard and then turning right around and playing hard!









1 comment:

  1. Good work Lily! Melese, you totally took the words right out of my mouth, that there really is so much more to parenting that you never think of before having a child. I was just talking about this with my mom yesterday. Seriously. so. much. work.

    ReplyDelete