Saturday, March 22, 2014

planting trees



We have a big garden area, and last year we decided that it would be the last year we would plant the whole darn thing full of food.  Maaaaybe my being 9 months pregnant around harvest time had something to do with it or maybe it was the fact that I just always plant a bazillion tomato plants thinking some will die but none of them ever do so I'm overwhelmed with tomatoes and just plain sick of them come August... run on sentence?  Anyhoo, this year we decided to pull the trigger on something we've been debating on for the entire four years we've lived here:  fruit trees.  We have a lovely Pear tree in the back garden area and a fabulous Apricot in our backyard, but I'm not going to lie, we're kind of obsessed with fruit trees so we've always wanted more.  They are amazing and the more I thought about it the more I realized that given the choice I would jump at the chance to nurture trees rather than plant stuff every year.  Now, I gave myself a little wiggle room, so we still have the boxes and if we really want to we can clear out another area in the garden for some leafy plants (which I probably will do, gluten for punishment) but man am I excited to get some fruit!

What was planted:
1 Peach Tree (duh.)
1 Nectarine Tree
2 Apple Trees (Jonagold and Red Macintosh)

AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Little excited over here.  We may even have a little room for another peach tree, so says the master gardener that came and helped us prune our apricot and pear trees.  Seriously, this delightful old man is my new best friend.  He came by today to give us some blackberry plants.  No really, he knocked on the door with a bucket of plants and a shovel.  I love him.  Cheers to spring, to planting, and to the mounds of deliciousness that's coming our way!









No comments:

Post a Comment